Face Plastering

This was our final video that showed both Jake and Corinne’s reactions as well as the process we undertook!

Advertisements

Editing the Video + Reflection

Today Holly and I edited the footage we had from both Jake and Corinne and put it together. We found key moments we thought best showed their reactions and edited this footage. This was the final stage of our collaborative project and we are both happy with our results! 

We have discovered how much one’s reaction can differ to such an intense process and the different ways they kept calm in the process. 

We are excited to present our final collaboration and have enjoyed working together. This process could never have been done with one person and I believe Holly and I worked really well together to present our ideas and our results!

Image

Filling the Plaster Casts

After creating the casts we decided to fill them in order to create a mould and better present the features of our volunteers and enhance our presentation alongside the video.

We used Plaster of Paris to fill the casts and after watching numerous tutorials on how to do this we began.

This is what we used

Image

 

We placed the cast in a large bucket with towels which encased it and stopped it from moving around and painted the inside with Vaseline so we could remove when it had set.

Image

We then added one part water to four parts plaster to create a liquid mixture and poured this into the cast.

Image

We tapped the entire bucket against a hard surface to bring up any bubbles that may be in there and then allowed it to set for 2 hours for safe measures.

Once it had set we ripped off the cast, sanded down the rough bits and ended up with face moulds!

Image

Image

Holly and I are happy with how they turned out and it was a really fun process! These moulds are going to hang above the video in our final presentation!

Second Volunteer

Today we repeated the same process we did with Jake on our second volunteer, Corinne. We filmed from the same angle as Jake and kept everything else the same in order to let their reactions be the only difference. We found that with both Jake and Corinne, listening to music helped them to relax, however as Holly and I spoke to Corinne she was frustrated by not being able to talk and indicated to us that she wanted paper and a pen to be able to write and talk to us which is something Jake didn’t do.

We found this very interesting that Corinne wanted to communicate and answer our questions while Jake preferred to continue listen to music in order to pass the time.

IMAG0722

We want to show the similarities and differences between both people and now that we have all our footage we believe that we will be able to edit it in order to show our findings.

Holly and I will get together and go through the footage and create a video to depict this.

First Volunteer

Today we plastered and filmed our first volunteer, Jake. We filmed this process on camera from an ariel view as we thought this would give the best view to show process.

This was our set up

Image

We made a bed for Jake and had him lie down with the camera set up on his face. we used studio lights to get better lighting as we had to work outside as it was a bit of a messy process.

After having done this on Zoe, Holly and I were more familiar with the process and worked together to cast Jake’s face. I began by cutting strips of plaster bandages as Holly put Vaseline of his face so the cast would come off with ease when it had hardened on his face.

This was our final result

Image

We are happy with how it turned out and the footage we have turned out well. It is quite long so we will have to edit it down but that process will come after we repeat the process on our second volunteer.

Changing ideas

After looking into the details of how we were going to present this experiment we found that it was a bit vague and we were not going to be able to represent our idea effectively. However, while casting Zoe’s face, Holly and I found the way that she reacted during the process was quite interesting and entertaining.

Because of this we have decided to change our idea to focus more on the process of plastering side and turn this idea into more of a social experiment. We are going to film each two different people and the entire process and see how each person’s reactions differ.

We have no idea how they will react and we are excited to see the results. This process allows us to experiment more and we are collaborating with each other on many different levels (casting the faces, filming, editing, etc.)

Let the experimenting begin!

The Casting Process

Today Holly and I began our casting process. We have watched many videos and read about casting and how it works. It is a bit of a slow process due to the fact we have to wait for the casts to dry. However, the first step involved using plaster bandages in order to create a mould of the face.

We took some photos of our first volunteer and began with the process!

Image

Image

First step was put Vaseline on her face to make sure that the cast came off and didn’t pull out any eyelashes or eyebrows.

We then had a tub of warm water at hand and using the plaster bandages we began layering them on her face and then allowed it to dry for twenty minutes before removing it from her face.

Image

Image

This was result:

Image

Image

Because the detail of the face is on the inside, we are going to do a cast of this cast in order to get it on the convex surface.

However that is for another day as we need this cast to dry first!

We are repeating this on our other two volunteers in the coming days but for now we are really happy with this result!